In order to maintain the overall hygiene of your home, you need to face the dreaded task of cleaning up your drains. Slimy substance dangling just beneath the sink flange, soiled surroundings of the basin and not to forget the stench that puts you off when the drainage gets clogged is nothing short of a nightmare in broad daylight. It is indeed a daunting task to get the drainage clean.
So to make things a tad easier for you, we give you a quick snippet of what types of drain cleaners are suitable in which kind of situation.
- Clogging of drains happens over a course of time. So an easy and simple way to avoid the situation all together is using piping hot water to wash your drains on weekly basis. This deters the grease, hair and scum buildup and hence you save yourself from later cleaning complications. A word of caution- Do not use it with PVC pipes. You do not want leaking pipes!
- Made at home drain cleaners are your best bet when it comes to getting the work done with minimal effort and saving those hard earned money in the process. You can combine baking soda, vinegar and salt to get a highly effective drainage cleaner. The reaction and the fizz as a result of that reaction take care of the grease and soot particles. Read about some of the science behind this here.
- Another quick do it yourself fix is adding baking soda and salt to the cream of tartar. This solution will get rid of slimy substances and also clean up the metal parts of the drainage pipe. You can mix baking soda, salt and cream of tartar in 1:1:1 ratio, pour it down the drain and let it rest for 30-40 minutes before finally washing it off with boiling water.
- One more type of cleaner available in the market is enzyme based drain cleaners. These are effective in getting rid of calcified deposits along with breaking down any type other of organic matter in your drains. Another upside of using these bio-friendly cleaners is that they get rid of any kind of stench from your drain. Enzyme based cleaners are a little slow as compared to the other types but much safer not just for you but also for the environment around you. Here is a great list of drain cleaner that includes enzyme based products as well as the more potent types
Cleaning your clogged drain is daunting but it is not an unmanageable one. If you will keep in mind what kind of cleaning solution is effective under what circumstances, your workload will get reduced significantly.
At some point in time, you will have to hire the services of a plumber. This is because a house inevitably has pipes that transfers water and fro the kitchen and the bathroom. Concealed beneath the layers of plaster are tens of meters of pipes that facilitate your smooth living. Hence, it is better to remember certain points well before hiring a plumber.
The piping of your house may not be visible so readily. But they always need to be there and in perfect functioning capabilities. The experience of not having water in your kitchen tap can be nightmarish, to say the least. And since the plumbing of a house is a crucial component of its well-being, it would be best to know how to go about hiring a plumber.
Criteria for Hiring a Plumber
If you have made all attempts to repair the damage or block yourself with drain cleaner or other tools, it’s time to begin the search for a professional. The choice of hiring the right plumber to do your job can be a difficult one to make. Any settlement can have dozens of service agencies that provide plumbers for all your needs. Not all of them are equally capable. Therefore, it is important to identify good plumbers on the following criteria.
- Variety of tools – Any trade involves a specific set of tolls and plumbing is no different. The different tools range from screw drivers to spirit levels. If a plumber does not possess the requisite set of tools, then hiring him would be a stupid thing to do. Ensure that he owns the tools.
- Expertise– A plumber should be skilled to say the least. He should have a good theoretical knowledge of how a piping system functions. At the same time, he should be well acquainted with the different types of problems he might be expected to face.
- Experience – This is an important factor that determines the eligibility of a plumber. There will be times when an amateur would be able to do your job quite well. But it the long run, experience always helps. It allows him to get a job done quickly and more effectively.
- Cost – Plumbing services are normally charged on the basis of the type of work. Initial installations can be much more expensive than subsequent repair and maintenance. There are several other factors as well that determine the cost. Complexity of the piping system and the capacity to be installed are some of them. During repair, it is best to hire the same person/agency that did the installations. They would have an idea of the setup in place and possible could save you hours.